No blog for a while. That is largely because I have been practicing denial. By not thinking about running and my training programme I have been able to cope with the fact that I have been prevented from doing running of any sort for over a week now.
The culprit is,surprisingly, neither calf nor Achilles, the to main concerns I had commencing this campaign. I is instead a recurrence of a hip bursitis (but on the other side this time). Having been the full and very expensive physio programme last time round I feel I know all there needs to be known about this. The cause is the cause of just about everything you can see a physio for (weak glutes). The cure is rest, ice and industrial quantities of ibuprofen. and so it is this time. Some deep tissue massage might have been of benefit but I don't believe it would have appreciably speeded up my recovery. Fingers crossed the drugs and ice packs have done the trick and things are feeling much better. Experience tells me not to get too excited too soon though. There always seems to be a false dawn but this injury already seems to have gotten better and worse a couple of times so I assume I am now on the way out of it.
Of course sod's law dictates that an injury is most likely to occur when one is furthest from home and the weather is the worst. So it was for me. Things started to feel iffy when doing a longish run in weather which seriously suggested the risk of drowning on pollokshaws road of all places. By the time I turned to come home at clarkston toll it was clear I wasn't going to be ale to run the 3 miles or so back. Some hobbled home with squelchy shoes and a drookit demeanour.
I am newly philosophical about my running. This is helping me cope with this and the genuine concern that a couple of weeks gap in marathon training is going to have a major impact on my ability to do this race. The reality though is that there is still a lot of running to be done between now and November. There is also the objective of his race which is now less about performance than about raising funds for Arc. More than that though it's about taking something positive out of this difficult year and taking control of my destiny again, even of just in a very small way.
With that in mind I am tentatively pencilling in a run of some sort in the coming days. Only if I feel sure it won't further endanger this year's targets. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Now maybe I should do something about those glutes....
No comments:
Post a Comment